What are Reprtoir Spreadsheets?
Reprtoir Spreadsheets is an online spreadsheet system we have built in-house that allows our users to bulk import their metadata inside of their account.
Users can create different templates of Spreadsheets according to the type of metadata they wish to import, such as templates for importing:
- Albums and Tracks
- Just Tracks
Creating and using Reprtoir Spreadsheets
Reprtoir Spreadsheets are found in the "Tools" section of you account
Creating a spreadsheet within Reprtoir is easy. Just follow these steps:
- You can create a Spreadsheet either by clicking in the "+" sign next to the "Spreadsheet" link found within the "Tool" section of your account, or you can head into your Spreadsheet list and click on the "New Spreadsheet" button located in the top right corner of your list.
- The "Create Spreadsheet" pane opens up. In there you choose the type of template you need, give your Spreadsheet a name and hit "Save".
- Upon clicking on "Save", you are immediately brought to the Spreadsheet you just created in a new tab of your browser.
Filling up the spreadsheet
Reprtoir Spreadsheets are like Google Spreadsheets. You are in an online environment allowing multiple people to connect at the same time and work on the data that needs to be imported
Here are the different phases of importing Reprtoir Spreadsheets:
- Filling up the Spreadsheet with metadata: you will need to fill up the mandatory columns at the least to have access to the next step. In each type of Spreadsheet, mandatory fields are indicated by asterisks next to their names.
- Launching the automatic verification process: this is done by clicking on the "Import" button in the top right hand corner of your Spreadsheet when you consider you have added all the necessary metadata inside of the Spreadsheet.
- The system will start analysing the metadata you entered and look for errors. If an error is found, the system will prompt you to correct it by highlighting the line where the error is present as well as indicating the concerned cell with a red mark.
- Once your spreadsheet is properly formatted you can import it by clicking once more on “Import File"?
- When you head back to your album list and refresh, your freshly imported album will be present.
Adding columns to import your own tags
Our Spreadsheet systems also allows you to import any type of tag into your account. For example, let's say it is very important for you to import the following data:
- Tempo information in beats per minute
- The year of release of your albums
This is something that is very easy to do in Reprtoir and here is how it's done:
- First, you must create your tag categories inside of your account. We explain how to create tag categories in our article Tagging and filtering in Reprtoir. In our example above, we mentioned the importance of importing tempo and year of release information, so those are the categories we would create.
- Then you can go ahead and either create your spreadsheet or load it up if it is in draft mode from inside your list of Spreadsheets.
- Once inside your Spreadsheet, click on "Add a tag category column" in the top left corner
- First, choose one of the 2 tag categories from our example: “Tempo (bpm)" or "Year of release"
- A new field on the right will appear with two options "Tracks" or "Albums". Choose "Tracks" if the tags you intend on importing only concern the tracks themselves. For instance, tempo information is usually only assignable on the track level because songs within an album will have different tempos. On the other hand, choose "Albums" if the tags you intend to import are only relevant on the album level. For example "Year of release" usually applies to albums rather than the tracks inside those albums. But you can choose to assign tags to the elements you want. We just give you the possibility of organising your tags on the track or album levels.
Please note that in this example, you had to choose whether your tags pertained to Tracks or Album. This is the case for Spreadsheets that allow you to import both Tracks and Albums. In other types of Spreadsheets that only allow you to import single sources of data such as Tracks, Works, Contacts and Companies, you will not have this option available.